Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Passion of the Chess

Chessnut provides a description of chess passion:
Chess, like writing, is passion, even for a not very good player like myself. Unlike writing, it is also an exercise in pure logic. Somewhere during the long stretch of time which makes up a slow chess game, one’s mind can sometimes find a way to reach a plateau of concentration and understanding that feels, frankly, selfishly wonderful. The getting there is exciting, and tempestuous as well, as it leaves one feeling either elated or completely crushed.
I think he is on to something with this 'plateau of concentration'. I find that I can never get quite as absorbed in a game I am watching or playing over as I can with one of my own tournament games. This also probably explains the intensity of feelings (both good and bad) which one experiences based on the outcome.

No comments: