Friday, May 03, 2019

PROFESSOR JERRY WILLIAMS // ALWAYS A FRIEND // A FIERCE COMPETITOR // A MAN OF DISTINCTION // A STUDENT OF CHESS

PROFESSOR JERRY WILLIAMS
A MAN OF DISTINCTION
A FRIEND
A CHESS PARTNER
A PROFOUND PERSONALITY
 
 Professor Jerry Williams, Boylston Chess Club,
Davis Square Summerville, BCC Saturday Game 60.
[I have this photo hanging in my study.]
To say that Jerry was "dapper" would not
be an exaggeration. He was always inspiring
in his erudition and his dress. 
[I have taken so many photos of Jerry over the
decades I have know him and played chess
along side him, and also over the board
as an opponent. He always had a kind word
for all; he loves children and they love him.
We all shared many laughs together,
during lunch breaks at the BCC Saturday
Game 60 events, at Davis Square and
in Cambridge. In a word, Jerry was "cool"
in every respect.
I am stunned to hear of his death.
Perhaps I thought he and I would go on
forever, meeting in Harvard Square
for chess and banter. Perhaps I was
unconsciously looking forward to 
sharing the new chess area at the
Smith Campus Center, Harvard (the old Holyoke Center)
in the heart of Harvard Square,
just taking for granted that both he and I 
would be alive to engage in the fun of summer outdoor
chess and conversation.  No doubt it also shakes
me up. Why? Because Jerry's passing reminds me
that I too am only mortal. My days are numbered!
Sad, those remaining days I have left will ring of a
hollow-ness without Jerry's sparkling energy
to share the scene.
CHESS PRODIGIES IN HARVARD SQUARE
JERRY ALWAYS SUPPORTED CHESS
WITH HIS PRESENCE
"The Professor" watches intensely as Carissa Yip engages
Cory Tolbert in a blitz game, on the Au Bon Pan Chess
Plaza, Harvard Square.
 Professor Willliams prepares his score sheet as he faces
off with Eric Feng at the BCC Davis Square Game Saturday
Game 60 event. [Boy in red is Alex Yu, winner of the
2019 Blitz Qualifier event held last weekend.]
ALWAYS DAPPER: CUTTING A UNIQUE IMAGE
IN HARVARD SQUARE
 INTENSE AND DEFINED
ALWAYS SERIOUS
 WELL, NOT ALWAYS
YES A MAN WITH A SENSE OF HUMOR
Professor Jerry Williams
[If there is a Heaven and if Jerry is listening:
Steve Stepak says: you have inspired;
you have made a difference.
You will be dearly missed. 
Thank you for sharing your love!]
A CLASS ACT 
 PHOTOS: STEVE STEPAK
 

No comments: