Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Chess, Michael Jackson, Various Politicians, and UAC's

What drives a person to get in the position Michael Jackson got into?

Some social psychologists claim that we all have "UAC's" Underlying Automatic Commitments that are behaviors learned (many unconsciously) that can cause a person to act and decide in certain ways. Successful people and leaders that have battled their way up the competitive ladder are even more susceptible to behaving in a risky way as their experiences in gaining success and power sometimes provide a "king of my hill" mentality that blinds them from some seemingly obvious simple stupid self destructive behaviors. Granted addiction is the god of UAC's. Parallel to this is the common trait of many people to eschew medical care, this attitude toughens them up, until ultimately the quality and length of their lives gets diminished by a problem they take too long to deal with. Nonetheless, psychologists say many times people can't change until enlightened about, and worked thru, their hidden/uncontrollable dominant UAC's.

In chess we have certain biases and prejudices and usually revel in them. I know my outlook about chess was framed by my early coaches and teachers. Although upon my return to OTB chess I was enticed by the "Soviet/Botvinick approach" which I think instills in a player the drive to be disciplined to play the perfect game every time. But during the past two years I have really focused on how Harry Lyman wanted me to play, although stylistically to be questioned, it has lifted my strength to a place I have never been before and has been a lot of fun. I play the opponent and not the position, many times letting my gut override my brain. I'm willing to sacrifice to nick my opponent, have a brawl, and see what happens. Objectively this is all bad stuff. A situation occurred last Saturday in my game against Arthur Nugent:

YOUNG PLAYERS DON'T DO THIS AT HOME! [full score below]

Move 15. Bxe6??!! All in.............


Later David Vigorito told me. "Mike that was unsound as hell -- you should have lost!" From the tone of his voice you could tell he wasn't happy with me getting a half a point with junk like this. To that Arthur said "Harry would have played it the same way." Upon home analysis I feel I was delusional and lucky.


What are some of your UAC's of chess?


Please Comment Thank You Mike Griffin 07/01/2009

Mike Griffin,1 (1800) - Arthur Nugent,2 (2000) [B01]
BCF - Swiss #23,

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5 4.Bc4 Nf6 5.d3 c6 6.Bf4 Bf5 7.Nf3 e6 8.Qe2 Bb4 9.Bd2 Nbd7 10.0-0 0-0 11.a3 Bxc3 12.Bxc3 Qc7 13.Nh4 Bg6 14.Nxg6 hxg6 15.Bxe6 Rfe8 16.Bxf7+ Kxf7 17.Qf3 Ne5 18.Qg3 Nd5 19.Rae1 Nxc3 20.bxc3 Re7 21.f4 Nd7 22.Rxe7+ Kxe7 23.Qxg6 Kf8 ½-½

http://leesinsights.com/?p=8

Thank You and have a Happy Fourth

Mike Griffin

No comments: