Saturday, July 09, 2005

Jason in New York -- going backwards

Anyone have a solution to the bad blunders? It has been hurting my chess lately, as I have lost 9 of my last 10 games, and lost 70 rating points.

At the beginning of the summer, I decided that I was going to study chess hard and build up my rating to 2000 by summer's end, when I move back to Boston. Well, as I have discussed here before, it started out well, taking out my first master and winning several other important games. Then disaster struck, and I can't seem to win a game. Today, I blundered up a pawn against a master, and then I did the same thing against a 1000 rated opponent. That is the worst loss I have had in about 12 years, and very lopsided compared to the quality of my first game!!

The worst part of this whole thing is that I have been losing games outright in which I am objectively better, often up significant material. In the last 9 games, I have: blundered (i.e. dropped a piece or worse) a clear pawn up 5 times, blundered a clear PIECE up once, won a lucky game, and lost a tough struggle with a master. I know that everyone blunders, but it seems that I am losing superior positions more often than other people rated 1900-2000, and certainly the masters do not lose material so often and so freely.

What is the secret to winning "won" games? What am I doing wrong? More importantly-- what are the habits of good players who win their "winning" games? Also, is it better to be calm or nervous? I am very clam late in the games, but I feel that maybe I am too relaxed and therefore careless. Thoughts?

No comments: