Thursday, August 23, 2007

Gata Unplugged

Here are a few interesting moments from an interview with Gata Kamsky posted at Schachblog. First, a comment from the interviewer when the two are discussing the impact of computers on chess:
Interviewer: In the early days of ... artificial intelligence the programmers tried [to] understand the grandmaster, now it's the grandmaster who tries to understand the programme.
...a view consistent with J'adoube's, I think.

Next, is Kamsky's response to a question about whether he is satisfied with his progress since making his chess comeback:
Kamsky: It's not easy to make the Top Ten. If it would be easy everybody would be there.
OK, I suppose, but then I imagine they wouldn't call it the Top Ten anymore?

Finally, there's this testy exchange when the interviewer asks about past incidents involving Gata's father:
Interviewer: There was open hostility by some players and in some press articles against you. Did you suffer from this at the time?

Kamsky: I don't like these questions. You are digging in the past. I think you should leave the past alone. It's a good time to forget about it and think about the future. I don't want to talk about my father. He's following my progress and that's all that matters.

Interviewer: Nigel Short recently refused to shake hands with you at the tournament in Montreal.

Kamsky: I don't want to talk about it.

No comments: