Monday, May 02, 2005

Please, no more chess!

We all like to wax poetic about the benefits of chess in school. Inevitably, however, there are those individuals for whom it is less than an enriching experience.
I have hated chess since elementary school, when I was in the gifted program and one feature was a weekly chess tournament with a big chart on the wall keeping track of everyone's victories. From first through sixth grade, I never won a chess game, ever. It became a weekly exercise in humiliation or futility or something similarly crappy. I won my first chess game ever in sixth grade, against a third grader. Even that sucked.
A sad story to be sure, though I wouldn't consider it a wholesale indictment of scholastic chess. I'm sure many of us could share similar experiences about scholastic sports.

No comments: