Monday, April 26, 2010

Chess: Skittles Room Life

Well my tournament of 4/23 was not one of my best days. What's amazing is that my wife Pat always has an a sense of what my performance will be and doesn't telegraph it; but she knew I would have a bad day.

IM Marc Esserman arrived too a bit too late to play so he camped himself in the skittles room and proceeded to assess Veselin Topalov vs Viswanathan Anand game as it proceeded. In addition he strives to assess every Smith_Mora played in the hall giving participants a critique. Of which Paul Mishkin had two Smith_Morra's games one with each color.

It's way cool to have an IM just sit and contribute to chess as it happens. Especially when Marc is giving out info that's not in theory. Because of losing two games in a row in the open section qualified me with a bye., Marc volunteered to be a houseman and we played a certain opening that he was preparing for a certain opponent that I am pretty strong at.

Being his sparring partner I got ripped up but I think each of us learned something.

Later Paul MacIntyre dropped into the club visited the skittles room and contributed his insights and feelings into games going on.

Support from such strong players is priceless.

Do you have any story of skittle room contributions that you can talk of?

Please comment.

Thank You

Mike Griffin

04/26/2010

No comments: